If I want to givemy car to my ex-boyfriend and have him take over payments, insurance, maintenance, etc, what should I do?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to givemy car to my ex-boyfriend and have him take over payments, insurance, maintenance, etc, what should I do?

I put money down for a car and my ex-boyfriend and I had both names on it. We broke up and I put the car in my name since he did not have a license and could not obtain insurance. We tried for a relationship again and broke up. He argued constantly about me putting the vehicle in my name. I want nothing to do with him nor the car so we agreed that he would take over all payments, expenses and maintenance on the vehicle. What information should be in a notarized letter that we both sign to show he has full ownership of the car and title will be transferred after all payments are made?

Asked on August 28, 2011 Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

But wait: does he have a license yet?  You can not just transfer the title if it is encumbered by a loan.  The creditor that hold the loan has a right to be paid by YOU upon the transfer of the vehicle's title.  And the insurance is not transferable - ever.  If he does not have a license then he can not obtain insurance.  I would not even let him look at the car nevertheless drive it.  So do not write any letter or have it notarized giving him anything to do with the vehicle unless you want to buy yourself a lawsuit from the creditor that holds the loan and the next person he gets in to a car accident with.  Go and get legal help to get rid of the car - and him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption