If Iwant to file for divorce on my own, where canI go to do it?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwant to file for divorce on my own, where canI go to do it?

I want to file for divorce we have been separated for 11 years. We were married in a different state.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Family Law, New York


B Elaine Jones / The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should be able to go to the local courthouse in the county where you reside and request the Family Law Dissolution Packet that they sell.  There are differen ones and the clerk that waits on you at the courthouse should be able to tell you which one is appropriate for you.  Since you have been sepearated for 11 years, it will most likely be a Simple Dissolution of Marriage.  Hope that helps you.  Some of the courthouses also have Family Intake Centers where they actually assist you with the forms. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption