If I want to file for divorce and I live in one state andmy spouse lives in another but I don’t know her address, what do I do?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to file for divorce and I live in one state andmy spouse lives in another but I don’t know her address, what do I do?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Before legal action can be taken against a person they must be given an opportunity to appear and explain their side. This is what is called "notice".  When a spouse cannot be located, then there is something known as "divorce by publication", which is a remedy that allows for a divorce in such a situation. 

The way a divorce works in such a situation is like this - The Petitioner (i.e. the filing spouse) must make a diligent search to find the Respondent (i.e. the missing spouse). The Petitioner then has to present proof to a court that they made good faith efforts to uncover the Respondent's whereabouts. At that point, the court will allow the Petitioner to "serve" the Repondent by publishing notice of the divorce in a newspaper. The court will then instruct the Petitioner as to which newspaper should be used; typically one that is in the area of the Respondent's last known address/location). 

The Respondent then has 30-60 days to file their answer. If they fail to to do so, the Petitioner can request the court to enter a "default divorce". Generally, such a divorce is granted upon the terms requested, although the Respondent is given a certain period of time in which appeal.

At this point you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area. They can advise you as to your specific rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption