I want to file bankruptcy,but…

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to file bankruptcy,but…

I totalled a car a couple years ago with no insurance, will bankruptcy be able to nullify this? Its been almost 3 years since i bought the car. I cant afford to pay it back.

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should be able to include this debt in your bankruptcy.  It may make a difference on exactly how it gets treated, if it is still just an open car loan or if the loan company has a judgment against you, but at the end of the bankruptcy, when you get an order which is called a "discharge," that should be the end of it, unless there are some very unusual facts that you haven't mentioned.

Bankruptcy isn't always easy, and mistakes can be expensive.  Getting a lawyer is usually well worth the cost.  One place to find a bankruptcy attorney in your area is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption