What can I do if I want to drop charges against someone?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I want to drop charges against someone?

I recently had a bad situation with a significant other. The significant other was under the influence of alcohol at the time. There were bad dcima made and I panicked. I want to drop the charges. I know that is ultimately the court’s decision but I’d like to attempt to convince them to not follow through.

Asked on August 29, 2017 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As you are aware, whether or not to drop criminal charges is up to the prosecutor. If there is enough other evidence sufficient to support a conviction, then the case will go forward. The fact is that many times victims in these type cases (i.e. domestic violence) are intimidated and threatened into not cooperating with the state, therefore such charges are not only reluctantly dropped by the DA's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption