How do I dissolve my subchapter S corporation and open another one that is geared more towardthe business we are in now?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I dissolve my subchapter S corporation and open another one that is geared more towardthe business we are in now?

What is the best and quickest way to dissolve my corporation (sub-S) and reopen another corporation that is more related to how we are currently operating. From an export business to a retail repair shop.

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Business Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your subchapter S corporation is a healthy corporation with no significant debt owed compared to its assets, I really see no reason why you need to dissolve it and create another corporation to do retail.

Rather the best way to convert the export business operations to a retail shop via the entity that you are operating under is to have a noticed shareholders meeting where there be a request for a vote of the shareholders to change the type of business operations the entity conducts and a vote to that effect.

Assuming that the request is passed, there needs to be written minutes of the vote placed in the corporate book and the corporation simply starts a new line of business operations with shareholder approval. Make sure you have good insurance coverage.

The above suggestion is the most economical way of getting the result you want and the quickest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption