If I co-sign a loan for a friend and I’m married, does my signing have anything to do with my husband?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I co-sign a loan for a friend and I’m married, does my signing have anything to do with my husband?

Would my husband have to be involved? Can I just be liable? Do I need him to co-sign as well?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Business Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you co-sign a loan for a friend and if she does not pay on the loan, you will be responsible for paying on it. If you cannot afford to pay on the loan that you co-sign and if your friend defaults on the loan, you could be sued for the contract that you entered into.

Assuming this happens and you lose the lawsuit and a judgment is entered against you, one-half of your marital assets acquired during your marriage could be subject to a levy by the udgment creditor to pay off the judgment. I suggest that you consult with a business attorney about the pros and cons of co-signing the loan that you have written about before you do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption