How do I become emancipated?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I become emancipated?

I’m 16 and I currently live with my mom and her boyfriend. If I have a job and my mom’s consent, would that be enough to become emancipated? Would it help if I were to become married?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, to get married in most states when one is below the age of eighteen (18) requires a signed written consent from one parent to do so.

In order to become emancipated and be held to the standard of an adult, a minor has to file a petition with the court seeking such setting forth a factual basis with evidence that the minor can support himself or herself. Service of the petition must be served upon the minor's parents. The court may require a short trial on the subject.

Getting married may assist in getting the desired emancipation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption