If I want to ask my roommate to move out, do I get it in writing?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to ask my roommate to move out, do I get it in writing?

When he moved in he gave me a $200 deposit but did not sign a lease or rental agreement. I want to tell him to leave after he pays rent and I will give him until the end of the month to find a place. I heard in my state that in this situation, only 72 hours are necessary when evicting someone but I would rather not be mean. I’m not sure a reason is necessary but our issues with him involve noise and a general lack of compatibility.

Asked on April 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a roommate in your unit without a written agreement, the law presumes that there is a month-to-month agreement for the tenancy. If you want this person out of your unit, you need to give him or her a written 30 day notice of termination of the lease and serve it upon him.

Keep a copy for future use and need. I suggest that you have a landlord tenant attorney assist you further on your matter to make sure the eviction process is done properly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption