If I’ve violated a business contract, what’s the worst that they can do to me?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve violated a business contract, what’s the worst that they can do to me?

I work for a credit card processing company. They knowingly took advantage of my dire economics by offering to pay me a very small percentage of what the future income would be worth on one customer’s business. When a plan much better for the customer was made available elsewhere, I made the customer aware of it, in violation of both my original contract’s non-compete clause and also the provisions of their buyout. Now the CFO is threatening me with his lawyers, which is expected, and the police, which wasn’t. Any chance of the police issue being for real?

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Business Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you violated the terms and conditions of your employment contract with your employer as you have written, it appears that at worst your employer could bring a legal action against you but in reality that most likely will not happen.

From a practical matter, you might end up getting terminated as to what transpired. If you get terminated, you might wish to speak with someone with the labor department about what happened or with a labor attorney.

As to a criminal action being filed against you for what you have written, it could happen, but most likely law enforcement and the district attorney's will deem the dispute an internal civil matter and not wish to get involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption