What are my rights if I moved in with my mother and added a $30,000 addition to her house but now does not want to add my name to the deed?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I moved in with my mother and added a $30,000 addition to her house but now does not want to add my name to the deed?

It was previously agreed that she would do so.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you had an agreement with your mother where if you added a $30,000 benefit to her home at your cost she would place your name on title to the property but now she refuses, I suggest that you first have a face to face meeting to see why there has been a change of heart.

The last thing that you want is to get into a lawsuit with your mother over the situation you are writing about. If she still refuses to add your name to the property, then you have the hard decision of bringing a lawsuit against her to be added onto the property as an owner for for payment of the $30,000.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney as to the best way to resolve the dispute without having a lawsuit filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption