I’ve been scammed

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’ve been scammed

I applied for a work at-home data entry job on a help wanted site. I got the job and they sent me a check for supplies/sign on bonus. I deposited it. They put a 3-day hold on it. It cleared. I went ahead and got supplies and Western Union and the rest where I was suppose to. 4 days later the bank called and said the check was not good. Now they charged me for depositing the check and my husband for taking the money out for me.  We both been charged with theft by deception-false impression, receiving stolen property, conspire theft by decep-impression. Can we really get convicted when we are victims of a scam? thank u

Asked on April 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you could get in trouble even if you are a victim. You should get legal representation.

Also, have you filed complaints against the scammer with law enforcement agencies, the FBI, the Federal Trade Commission, etc. ?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption