Do I inherit the house if it is in my husband’s name only?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I inherit the house if it is in my husband’s name only?

I’ve been married for 3 years and my husband owned our home before we were married. The deed is under his name only. If he dies does our home belong to me?

Asked on April 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Colorado


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It will belong to you if he writes a will naming you as a beneficiary.  Otherwise he dies intestate and you would only get a portion of the real estate.  Get with an estates attorney to get an estate plan set up between the two of you.


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Not all of it.  If he passes away with out your being on the deed with "rights of survivorship" or with out a Last Will and Testament in place giving you the house, it goes in to his estate and it will be distributed via the intestacy statutes in your state. A spouse inherits a certain amount under those statutes. Time to sit and talk.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption