Can my husband make me get a divorce if I don’t want one?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband make me get a divorce if I don’t want one?

I’ve been married for 11 months but during these months my husband cheated on me the whole time and had a baby with his mistress. Through all of it I feel like I should have given up but honestly I still love my husband. Also, he’s been taking care of me the whole time (ex. paying for my schooling), so is it possible to receive alimony?

Asked on June 14, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Even if you don't want to one your husband can still get a divorce. He can serve you with a divorce complaint. Once served, you will have a period of time in which to "answer" it.  If you fail to do so within the specified time given, he can proceed with a "default divorce", which is a divorce that is granted in the absence of one of the parties. As a general rule, it is granted on the terms requested by the petitioner.

As for alimony, given the short duration of your marriage, it is unlikley that it would be awarded. That having been said, to be further advised as to your situation, it would be best if you consulted directly with a divorce attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption