If I received a subpoena to attend court against my ex, what can I do to resolve this since I no longer reside in the state?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a subpoena to attend court against my ex, what can I do to resolve this since I no longer reside in the state?

Asked on August 13, 2015 under Criminal Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First, contact the lawyer who subpoenaed you, find out what they want you for--it may be that it's something you have no knowledge of, so if you provide a written certification to that effect, that may let you out of the subpoena--and also explain that you are out of state; ask them if there are any alternatives to your appearance or, if not, ask for the cost of your travel. If you do not receive satisfaction from calling the attorney, try calling the judge's law clerk (if you don't know which judge has the case, call the clerk for that court, which number you can find online, and ask), explain the situation, and inquire into your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption