If Iturned an insurance adjuster’s offer, what happens now?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iturned an insurance adjuster’s offer, what happens now?

My medical bills are $4082. plus the additional bills I added which came to $5793. The adjuster offered me $7000 and in the same phone call said, well I can go $9000 but no higher. I told him that I would discuss it with my spouse and call him which I did. I informed him hat we would not take that offer and he said, well I wanted to settle but I am sorry we can’t and that was the end of the call. What are my options now? Will he call again or do I eat crow and call back and take the offer. I wanted $10,000. Everyone I spoke to said to ask for at least $12,000, so I am so confused. Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? I’m in Russell County, AL.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Personal Injury, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the adjuster's offer is too low, you will need to file a lawsuit for negligence against the party who caused your injury.  It is possible that as the case proceeds through litigation that it may or may not settle for a larger amount prior to trial.  Another option other than trial is arbitration where an arbitrator might or might not award you a larger amount than the present offer.  You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations, otherwise you will lose your rights forever in the matter.  It would be advisable to speak with a personal injury attorney.  Another factor to consider is if through further negotiation, the difference between the amount you are seeking and the amount offered by the adjuster is a sufficient difference to warrant litigating the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption