If Ifell over a trip hazard at a fast food restaurant and received many bruises and a scraped elbow, what am i entitled to?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ifell over a trip hazard at a fast food restaurant and received many bruises and a scraped elbow, what am i entitled to?

Nothing broken but lots of pain and embarrassment. They are offering me $200.

Asked on July 29, 2011 Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

$200.00 is generous from what you write; you may wish to seriously consider taking the money and running.

There are two components to receiving compensation for a slip/trip and fall case. The first is fault: did the restaurant do something wrong, such as by not cleaning up a spill, having debris blocking an aisle or path, etc.

The second is injury. The legal system only provides compensation for serious injuries--e.g. those causing at least temporily disabilty or disfigurement, or significant pain (more than typical bruising)--and for out-of-pocket losses, like medical costs or lost wages. If you did not have medical costs, did not lose wages, and suffered nothing worse than some bruising, then you probably would receive nothing in a lawsuit--or could at best possibly win a few hundred dollars, like you're being offered, but have to spend more than that to receive the money. Embarassment for tripping is not something you can receive compensation for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption