If I took up payments on a friend’s car and now he is taking it back even though all the payments are up to date, can he do that?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I took up payments on a friend’s car and now he is taking it back even though all the payments are up to date, can he do that?

A friend of mine wanted to buy his wife another car but couldn’t trade hers, so he ask me to take up the payments. I have paid the payments for almost 2 years now. I have been late like 5 or 6 times, but only 1 time over 30 days. I pay him and he pays the lienholder. Well, now he wants to trade his truck and says he is taking the car to trade, even though it is paid up to date. Can he do this? We don’t have a written agreement, but I do have a witness to the agreement. I even have text messages that state it is paid up but he needs to trade his truck.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have text messages from the person that you have an agreement with to purchase the vehicle that you were making payments on admitting that you are paid up to date, you need to photocopy them or somehow print them out on paper.

Likewise, you need to have copies of all payments in hand that you did to support your oral contarct to obtain the car. You also need to get a statement from the person who is a witness to the transaction to assist you in that is quite apparent that your friend is now intending to breach his agreement with you.

It is unfortunate that you have no written signed agreement regarding the transation. I presume that the vehicle's registration is not in your name? If not, that is not good for you.

Your frined can attempt to take back the car you are paying on. If he does, your option to to file a lawsuit against him for breach of contract for the monies that you have paid to him and the vehicle's fair market value. You should consult with a general practice attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption