If Itook my boyfriend’s TVand he made a police report but doesn’t want to press charges on me, does the police half to drop the charges?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Itook my boyfriend’s TVand he made a police report but doesn’t want to press charges on me, does the police half to drop the charges?

Asked on December 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you, if you took your boyfriend's television and he made a police report there is the possibilty that the district attorney's office may file charges against you for what you did. The police do not press the charges that could result, it is the district attorney's office that proceeds with the action as to dismiss or not dismiss any criminal complaint that may be filed.

If no criminal action has been filed against you yet by the district attorney's office, perhaps one will not happen and the police report deemed an incident of a civil dispute. If charges are filed as to you and your boyfriend wants them dismissed, the prosecution is under no obligation to dismiss the complaint just because your boyfriend does not want to proceed as to his claims against you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption