What legal action can I take if I told my sister that she could stay with me for 3 weeks but now 10 months later she will not leave?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal action can I take if I told my sister that she could stay with me for 3 weeks but now 10 months later she will not leave?

She is not on the lease and does not pay any rent. I have repeatedly asked her to leave and she won’t. I’m in violation of my lease with her here.

Asked on September 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although techincally she is not a tenant but a trespasser, calling the police may be a "family issue" and a route you do not wish to take. You are going to have to evict her and I would do so before your landlord evicts you on a breach of lease. Sad to do with your own sister and hopefully the discord will mend itself because there will be tension for a while. I might try having a lawyer send her a letter first advising that she has x days to leave.  Then if she does not move on.  Can another familt memeber talk with her on your behalf?  That is another avenue to take before getting the courts involved.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption