If I think my partner of 8 years left me money in his Will but I know that his family will not contact me if he did, what should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I think my partner of 8 years left me money in his Will but I know that his family will not contact me if he did, what should I do?

I lived with a doctor in St. Thomas, U.S. virgin islands for 8 years. His children did everything to harass and harm me. He died last month and I know he left me something but I don’t know how to get it and I don’t want to contact his

lawyer or family.

Asked on June 1, 2017 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to proceed would be to sue your partner's estate (the legal entity created after he died to deal with his debts and distribute his assets). As someone with a reasonable belief that you may have been left something in a will, you should have standing, or a sufficient legal interest in the outcome as to file and bring a lawsuit. In the lawsuit, you could use the legal mechanisms or process of "discovery" (e.g. subpoenas; written interrogatories or questions; document production requests) to the family and other relevant parties (e.g. your partner's attorney or accountant, who may have information) to ascertain whether there was a will and, if so, get a copy of it. There is, unfortunately, no way other than a lawsuit to do this. You legally could proceed on your own ("pro se") without an attorney, but are *strongly* encourage to find a laywyer to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption