If I think my boss is embezelling company money and I don’t want any part of it, how can I protect myself and what is the best thing to do?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I think my boss is embezelling company money and I don’t want any part of it, how can I protect myself and what is the best thing to do?

I am his administrative assistant.

Asked on August 1, 2011 New York


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good afternoon,

Thanks for posting to our site. To get right to your question embezzelment is a criminal offense. If you suspect this and do nothing you can in a worst case scenario be charged if it came to that, of a lesser offense but still not good. A person who knows about a crime being committed and does nothing can potentially end up in trouble if it comes to light and because you posted i assume you know that and want to do the right thing.

You should speak to your local authorities if you feel this is the case. bring whatever you have as far as evidence goes in order to assist the police in determining whether to begin an investigation. You can also consult a local attorney to assist you in ensuring your protected from any potential charges as you came forward to do the right thing

good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption