If I thinkI am being slandered by someonewho lives in a different state, what canI do?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I thinkI am being slandered by someonewho lives in a different state, what canI do?

A relative has been accusing me of committing a crime. They have been shown physical proof that exonerates me but continue to tell other members in our family that i stole things. They do this by either writing or calling my other family members.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue your relative for defamation.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person  who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.

Libel is written defamation.  Slander is spoken defamation.

A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose.  You are the plaintiff.  Your relative you are suing for defamation is the defendant.  You can file your lawsuit in the state where you live or in the state where your relative lives or where the claim arose.  Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable as defamation.  For convenience purposes such as filing documents with the court and court appearances, it would be advisable to file your lawsuit where you live.  You can have a process server in or near the city where your relative lives serve the summons and complaint (complaint is the lawsuit attached to the summons) on your relative.  You can find process servers listed under attorney services in the Yellow Pages or online.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for defamation) would include mental distress, loss of friends and associates resulting from the defamation, and if applicable physical illness and medical expenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption