If I take care of my child 24/7 the father has seen the child 2 times in almost 3 years, how do I get full or primary custody?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I take care of my child 24/7 the father has seen the child 2 times in almost 3 years, how do I get full or primary custody?

I had paternity test to confirm she is his child. He joined the army and pays child support but the minimum. He just got married. Now he wants all rights to see and take my child. What can I do? Where should I start? I want full custody since I’ve been taking care of her full time. I’ve never missed a day with her. I went to court for child support but that was it.

Asked on June 13, 2015 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I can hear the panic in your voice and I totally understand that you fear that your child is going to be taken from you.  But I assure you: tat is not the case.  But you do understand, however, that her Father is entitled to time with her and generally courts award parents joint custody for decision making pruposes but you would be the custodial parent and primary caretaker.  She would live with you and he would have visitation.  Courts try and foster relationships between parents and children.  And they would give great weight to the fact that you have been her sole caretaker all these years.  I would speak with a lawyer in your area about state specifics.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption