I subleased an office and the keys do not work!

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I subleased an office and the keys do not work!

I subleased an office & signed a form provided by the building owner acknowledging the sublease. My tenancy was to start June 1st and I was to share the office with my landlord. My landlord can access the office but my key does not work. I have asked for a 2nd copy of hers (at my expense) but she said “No” because her key barely works. She also mentioned that the key to the bldg entry door is “tricky” & sometimes won’t lock. She has notified the building owner but, so far, nothing has been done. The lease forbids any alterations so I can’t change the ofc lock . What can I do?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to talk to a lawyer in your area.  One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

If you aren't given access to the office, your landlord is breaching the sublease, and you might have the option to get out of the deal and get your money back.  You might also be entitled, as an alternative, to a refund or reduction of your rent, for the time when you haven't been able to use what you've rented.  This may depend on other facts of your case, and on Colorado law;  I don't practice there, and there are variations in this from one state to another.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption