How much notice to move must a tenat be given and does a landlord have rights to their belongings?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much notice to move must a tenat be given and does a landlord have rights to their belongings?

I stayed with my cousin for a month and a half and norent was charged. However, while I lived there I fed and watched her 4 kids, washed clothes, cleaned their hair etc. About 2 weeks ago on a Saturday night, she wrote me on Facebook telling me that she wanted me to leave and take my stuff by the following Tuesday. I explained to her I could not do that by Tuesday. Ever since then I’ve been trying to get my stuff from her but she won’t let me. Now she is talking about selling and giving my stuff away. Is that legal?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal.  You seem more like an employee than a tenant here but either way you term yourself, if you left your belongings at her home and entrusted her with them then the law would call that a "bailment."  If she did anything to harm your belongings or sell them that would be called "conversion" under the law and she would be liable for their value.  Explain this to her calmly.  Tell her that you wish to come and get your things on X day at X time and come.  Maybe even with the police if they will come but definitely with a witness that is a neutral party.  Maybe another family member can talk to her about it all before it gets to this point?  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption