What can I do if I was wrongfully terminated?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was wrongfully terminated?

I started a new job at the beginning of this year. I had a 90 day review with no negative remarks. I was told there were things that would improve but it would take time and if there were specifics that I wanted assistance with to advise. I did advise in emails but was never given additional training. I was put on a 30 day PIP 2 weeks ago. I met with HR and tried to file a grievance and was declined stating my manager was retiring in 3 weeks. New Link Destination
day I was terminated yet they offered me a severance package. I don’t have a handbook copy to see about warnings, at will termination but feel I was wrongly terminated. Do I have just cause to file a complaint?

Asked on September 22, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The only question that is important is, did you have a written employment contract limiting the reasons you could be terminated and/or putting in place a certain disciplinary process or process for termination and, if so, did the company violate the contract's terms? If the answer is "no," then you were an employee at will and could be terminated at any time, for any reason, whether or not you received necessary training and regardless of prior reviews. So if you did not have a contract, this is almost certainly not wrongful termination, because there really isn't any such thing as wrongful termination of employees at will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption