If I split open my head playing basketball at the local YMCA and had to get 9 staples, am I entitled to anything?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I split open my head playing basketball at the local YMCA and had to get 9 staples, am I entitled to anything?

I still experience bad back problems ftom the fall. I have also missed 1 month of work.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to be entitled to any type of compensation, you must show that someone who owed you a duty breached that duty and was negligent and because of their negligence, you suffered an injury.  Participating in sports carries a risk of injury and it is widely accepted that when we agree to participate in sports, we are assuming that risk of injury.  However, if for example, the basketball court was in disrepair and this was the reason you suffered your injury, you may have a claim against the party who is responsible for maintaining the court and keeping it safe for use.  I would suggest you contact a personal injury lawyer in your area and seek a consultation.  They will be able to hear all the facts of your case and give you a more informed answer as to what if any options you have.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption