How do I deal with an unpaid bill resulting from the sale of my house?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I deal with an unpaid bill resulting from the sale of my house?

I sold my house earlier this year. The house was staged by a stager, who did not interact with my agent after the staging was done. No invoices was sent for monthly rental fees. At the time of selling the home, my agent informed the stager to remove her belongings. She did not respond. After 7 months, she is behind me threatening legal action. What are my options? How do I deal with this?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of whether the stager was professional or not in her dealings, if the bill is "legitimate"--the charges were for work/services actually provided, are reasonbable for that work/services, etc.--then you legally need to pay the bill; someone can still bill you--and, if necessary, sue you--months after the fact.

Of course, if you dispute some or all of the charges, then either negotiating (trying to settle at some amount you are comfortable paying) or refusing to pay, then defending the likely to result lawsuit, are your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption