If you sell a car to someone and they don’t change the title, get no insurance, and have an accident, who is liable?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you sell a car to someone and they don’t change the title, get no insurance, and have an accident, who is liable?

I sold my brother a truck. The title is still in my name and it has no insurance. He hit a car yesterday. Who will pay for the other car’s damage – me or my brother? He is 17 years-old and has a license. The police officer gave him a ticket for a court date next month.

Asked on January 10, 2011 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since the title is still in your name, you would be liable for the accident because you are the registered owner of the truck.  If you were to sue your brother to recover your out-of-pocket loss for damages to the other vehicle, your brother could assert the defense of minority (being a minor) to prevail in the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption