What are my rights to a mobile home that I co-own if I do not own the land that it sits on?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to a mobile home that I co-own if I do not own the land that it sits on?

I signed purchase papers with my mother for a mobile home, which we moved to land that she owned. Instead of the land going into a Trust, mom signed the deed to my sister who now claims ownership of the land and mobile and wants me to leave. Did I just lose my half of the home?

Asked on December 26, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, owing the land on which a mobile home sits does not give one ownershop of the mobile home, any more than owing than the land on which a car or trailer is parked gives one ownership of the vehicle. However, she can charge you rent to keep your home there, or require you to move it: you have no right to keep the home on her land without her consent or agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption