If I signed away my rights and am now being sentenced, what to do??

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed away my rights and am now being sentenced, what to do??

I was 18 when I got arrested by a police officer for, domestic violence, even though the other person involved said is was all nonsense. They said if I plead guilty it would go away, even though they never really explained what that meant, they gave told me to take classes, which I did, and I have proof I finished, but there was a mix up on my days, and sent my paper work 4 days late, now I’m being sentenced which once again they wouldn’t really explain to me, I asked if I could have a lawyer but they said I signed away my rights to one. I don’t understand what’s going on.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you signed something saying you wanted to represent yourself in a criminal matter and were waiving your right to counsel, then the judge should have asked you a series of questions designed to ensure that you understood what you were doing.  You need to confer live with a criminal defense attorney to whom you can show all your paperwork.  There are several in Phoenix who will do initial consultations for free.  Make an appointment to see one of them (or if you are outside the Phoenix area, in the closest city to you).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption