Can a former roommate be held liable for damages if they did not sign a renewal lease?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a former roommate be held liable for damages if they did not sign a renewal lease?

I signed a 1 year lease with a girlfriend who also signed the lease. We broke up right before the lease was up and I moved out. She stayed for another year and did $5900 damage to the house. Am I still responsible for 1/2 the damage even though I did not renew the lease for the second year?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are going to need some legal help here with this. Did she sign the lease for the second term? Did you do a walk through with the landlord before your lease term ended and you left?  What happened to your security deposit?  Your liability on the surface seems to swing in your favor but really onle an attorney in your area who can hlp you answer these questions can know for sure how it will go.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption