I signed a purchase agreement to sell my house . I decided not to sell the investor paid for the title am I obligated to go through with sell

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I signed a purchase agreement to sell my house . I decided not to sell the investor paid for the title am I obligated to go through with sell

We signed a purchase agreement. I had liens
on my property so the amount of the liens has
to come off purchase price . I am not satisfied
so I do not want to go through with sell

Asked on October 10, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are  contractually obligated to through with the sale: you signed a contract, and that contract can be enforced against you in court. You could only escape the contract if:
1) There is some contingency or provision in the contract which allows you out under certain circumstances and you fully comply with it.
2) The other side breaches or violates the agreement in some material or important way, such as by not depositing or paying some amount the contract requires them to.
3) The other side committed fraud by lying to you about some important fact to get you to sign the agreement.
Otherwise, as soon as you signed, you were locked in. Your dissatisfaction is irrelevant legally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption