If I signed a lease but am now being told that the specific unit will not be available, what can I do?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a lease but am now being told that the specific unit will not be available, what can I do?

I signed a lease last week stating a specific address, and a certain move-in-date, but am now being told that the prior occupant has chosen to stay, and the unit will not be available. They will not let me keep my locked in rental price for other accommodations – a slightly larger apartment – and have so far not been able to provide another unit like the one I had signed for. They offered to give me back some of my money, but refuse to refund the $80 background check fee. I paid for the background check understanding that I had been approved, and had signed a lease agreement.

Asked on March 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the reason you can't move in is not your fault or your doing, you should be able to get all the money back, including the $80 check fee; when the other party to a contact (and that's what a lease is--a contract) breaches a contract, it can't keep some of the consideration (money) paid.

You could also try to enforce the lease and try to force  the owner to evict the prior tenant. This might be very difficult if the other tenant has a good claim to stay there; basically, if the owner has discretion to evict (e.g. the other tenant is month to month, to the owner could provide 30 days notice to terminate tenancy), you may be able to force the owner to exercise it's discretion in your favor, but you can't force out someone with a right (e.g. a lease that's still in force) to stay there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption