If I signed a lease but before I could take possession the landlord leased to someone else, what remedies can I pursue?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a lease but before I could take possession the landlord leased to someone else, what remedies can I pursue?

My current apartment will not charge a lease break fee if you need to transfer as long as it is with one of their other properties. I signed a lease with one of their properties (change of job taking me to anotherarea.) I was to take possession next week, but I just found out they mistakenly “closed my account” and leased the apartment to someone else. Someone else called to say they no longer needed to rent an apartment, and they closed my file instead, and have admitted as much. It will cost me a lot of money if I cannot move to this specific property. What can I do?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract and the parties are bound to the terms ang obligations set there under.  You need to go to court to enforce the contract asap.  I would speak with an attorney in the area that you are moving to and have them send a letter regarding the matter in the hopes that they will cave and  you might avoid a court battle. Let them come up with a solution and alternative. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption