If I run a small business, am I able to charge time and cost for a subpoena I received requesting production of documents?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I run a small business, am I able to charge time and cost for a subpoena I received requesting production of documents?

The subpoena I received is requesting that I produce documents for an event I worked. There will be time and cost involved in producing these documents and I would need to be reimbursed for that expense. How would I go about invoicing for these services when answering the subpoena? Should I contract the law firm to get more info and bill them directly? Not sure how all of this works. I believe this is a personal injury case and I am not a party to it.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Business Law, Florida


Melissa Dacunha

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A subpoena is a legal document that cannot be altered. If the court is requesting documents in order to prove or use the documents for a certain pending case , than you gave to get the documents to them when requested or try to get an extension of time in order to produce the documents. The law office or the court are not responsible for the time you spent to be able to get the documents in order. Most of the time business owners have important documents filed in specific places. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption