If I re-signed my lease and then3 days later found out my boyfriend was cheating, is there anyway I can get out my lease?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I re-signed my lease and then3 days later found out my boyfriend was cheating, is there anyway I can get out my lease?

The rental apartments say that I must pay the full amount of the year’s cost.

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the fact that your boyfriend is cheating on you has no bearing whatsoever on the enforceability of the lease; a lease is a contract, and like other contracts, it's enforceability does not depend on the personal circumstances or situation of the parties. So your boyfriend cheating on you does not give you grounds to terminate the lease, and you can be held liable for the full amount of rent due for the entire lease term (i.e. for the whole year). You may need to explore other options such as seeking someone to sublet to (so you don't need to live with him) or someone to take over  the lease from one or both of you (assignment).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption