What to do if I resigned from my company a few weeks ago but the company is still using my email address which contains my name?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I resigned from my company a few weeks ago but the company is still using my email address which contains my name?

I contacted the HR deptartment and they said OK but they only blocked my personal email that I was using to check the status of my company email. Is this legal? Can I protect my name from being used in this manner? What happens if negative emails are being sent out via my old email address?

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you, there vreally is nothing that you can do legally with respect to your former work e mail address. The reason is that employer's after an employee leaves his or her position with the company typically keep the former employee's e mail open as a matter of custom and practice to ascertain any communication coming into that address as a business practice.

As to negative e mails being sent out from your former work e mail address, there really is not much that you can do about that either. Typically the employer has an employee/employer manual stating that the employer owns that e mail address.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption