If I rent an apartment and my sister left the water in the kitchen sink running which caused damage to the downstairs unit, am I liable to pay?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rent an apartment and my sister left the water in the kitchen sink running which caused damage to the downstairs unit, am I liable to pay?

I was not allowed to see the damage or any evidence that there truly was damage. The neighbor downstairs claims that 15 minutes worth of water caused 6k worth of damage.

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If a household member or guest of yours caused damage to another person's property either deliberately or negligently (through carelessness), you would be liable for that damage--i.e. for the cost to repair. You do not need to pay more than the actual cost of the damage, such as the cost to repair with like or similar quality; that is, you do not have to pay for an upgrade or remodel. You could refuse to pay unless the neighbor allows you to see the damage and also review the estimates/proposals (to satisfy yourself the damage is real and the estimates reasonable). If the neighbor will not do this, you could refuse to pay entirely and let him/her sue you. In a lawsuit, there are ways for you to get his information, and the neighbor would have to prove the extent and cost of the damage to get the amount he or she is seeking (or will will only get an amount equal to what he or she can prove).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption