IfI rent housing from my employer, canit tell me who can stay over?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI rent housing from my employer, canit tell me who can stay over?

I’ve been work for my employer for 3 years. Last year they started making me pay rent without a contract. I’ve been dating a women for 6 months and she stays in the house over night. She has bid on a few jobs as and independent contractor and my employer is the competition. Can my employer now tell me that she cannot be in the house?

Asked on August 15, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) If there was a lease--or an employment contract which covered the house, as part of your employment--then the terms of that lease or employment agreement must be honored. (Of course, those terms could legally provide for employer approval of anyone who stays there.)

2) If you did not have an employment agreement specifying that you received the house for "free" as part of your compensation, then the employer could choose to start charging your rent for it.

3) Similarly, if there is no written lease on the house, then it's an oral (sometimes called verbal) lease. An oral lease is a month-to-month rental, which means the terms and conditions of the rental may be changed on month's notice. That means that on a month's notice, the employer could state that either competitors generally or this woman in particular cannot stay at the home.

In short, unless you had something in writing to the contrary, your employer can most likely put this restriction in place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption