What will happen if I recorded a conversation with a proffessor of mine without his knowledge?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I recorded a conversation with a proffessor of mine without his knowledge?

During the conversation he made deragoratory, racist, and threatening statements direct towards me. At this point in time I am planning to complain about his behavior to the chair of his department. I fear that without this recording nobody will believe me regarding his extreme behavior since he is actually fairly highly regarded. He also happened to be a lawyer. How should I proceed, should I disclose my recording or should I keep it to myself? Any other advice on how I should proceed? Thanks for any advice in advance.The recording was made in a classroom without third party witnesses.

Asked on March 26, 2013 under Personal Injury, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

New York is what is known as a one-party rule state.  That means that in New York the penal law makes it a crime to record an in person or telephone conversation unless at least one party consents.  One did.  That would be you.  So you are free of any criminal implications if that is what you are asking.  Now, as for the way the professor treated you you absolutely need to do something about it.  But I would have more than just the recording as evidence and I would seek help from a trusted person to help.  The professor is not stupid and there will never be any third party corroboration.  But you need to build your case here.  Possibly find others that this also happened to.  The recording is your topping on the cake here, so to speak.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption