What to do if I recieved a notice of a lawsuit and request to waive service of a summons?

UPDATED: May 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recieved a notice of a lawsuit and request to waive service of a summons?

I signed and returned this form. It says, “You will have 60 days to answer the complaint”. Does this mean that there will be a court date scheduled or that I am supposed to file an answer to the complaint?

Asked on May 6, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are supposed to file your written response to the complaint within that time. Your response could be an Answer or a Demurrer. If you wish to file a cross-complaint, you should also file it at the same time as your answer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption