What to do if I recieved a letter via email saying I may be in my grandparent’s Will?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recieved a letter via email saying I may be in my grandparent’s Will?

I knew they passed away in recently but I have been very distant with my family for a long time. How do I find out this info?

Asked on December 19, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


1) Respond to the email for more information--BUT do it from a secure computer without using any passwords or other identifying information, in case this part of a scam.

2) Contact your parents--they are most likely not only in the will themselves, but would be part of administrating the estate, and should know.

3) If you know the lawyer(s) your grandparents used, contact them.

4) Try contacting the surrogate's court (probate) for the county in which your grandparents lived.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption