If I was kicked out ofan apartment and my girlfriend’s name is the only one on the lease, what can I do

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was kicked out ofan apartment and my girlfriend’s name is the only one on the lease, what can I do

I was told to get my stuff out. The police where called. I paid 100% of the rent for 5 months it was verbally stated and implied that I would remain in the apartment until the lease ended, 7 months away. I still have property in the apartment which I can’t get to because the locks where changed.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have been evicted from the apartment that you were sharing with your girlfriend as a result of a perceived domestic issue where you are not on the master lease of the unit with the landlord but rather were in some sort of an oral sub-lease with your girlfriend, you need to try and work out the situation with her.

From what you have written, you could very well have a legal action against her for the withholding of your possessions. I suggest that you get some third party who you both know to intervene on your behalf to try and get your possessions back in a voluntary manner. If your former girlfriend refuses to accomodate that request, your recourse seems to be small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption