How to correct odometer paperwork?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to correct odometer paperwork?

I recently traded in a vehicle and while signing paperwork in a rush where many people were talking to me at the dealership, I failed to look closely at a few pages. The odometer paperwork states the car I traded in has 13,448 when I traded it in with over 74,000 miles on it. The dealership has also not posted payment to my current lien holder and I am getting collection calls on the traded in vehicle and they have already put the car up for sale online and given test drives. I don’t want to be liable or accused of turning back the odometer. The carfax now states odometer discrepancy and I do not want to be help accountable. Is there any way to correct this?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under General Practice, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you have now found yourself in with respect to the improper designation of the odometer of the car that you traded in, the following are ways for you to try and get the proper paperwork in order:

1. go to the dealership where you traded in the car and complete new paperwork showing the correct mileage of the car that you traded in and make sure such is submitted to your state's department of motor vehicles;

2. if the dealership will not assist you, go to your state's department of motor vehicles to fill out and submit the proper paperwork regarding the car you traded in;

3. if option # 2 does not help, consult with an attorney that practices in the area of automotive law to assist you in your endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption