What to do if I recently switched to a new auto insurer and it alleges that I was at-fault for an accident last year?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently switched to a new auto insurer and it alleges that I was at-fault for an accident last year?

The only problem is neither my wife or myself were in any accidents.I’ve had the same insurance for the past two years (hillstar) and they provided me with a history loss letter and I even gave the new insurance my dmv print out of my driving record for the past 3 years. Neither of these documents convinces it that I haven’t had an accident for the year in question, so my rate has gone up dramatically. I am being penalized for an accident that I never had with a vehicle I never owned and with an insurer I never had. How can I clear my record?

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Insurance Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to ask the insurer for the documentation that forms the basis for their allegation that you were in an accident and the rate.  I would surely write to your state Insurance Department as well and have them open a file about the complaint.  Any insurance company that receives an inquiry from the State government will respond accordingly.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption