I recently showed my house to someone to rent and my cat bit her, do I have to pay her medical bills?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I recently showed my house to someone to rent and my cat bit her, do I have to pay her medical bills?

She walked in the house didn’t see my cat behind her, stepped on it and got bitten. At first she said it was OK but the past couple days she has been to the doctor and the ER. Now she is telling me that I have to pay her medical bills.

Asked on September 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You'd most likely only have to pay--in the event she sued you--if she can show you were negligent, or unreasonably careless, in some way. Typically, that would mean if you had knowledge that this cat was vicious or had a tendency to bit but did not take any precautions, you could be liable; but if there was no reason to suspect any particular risk or danger, you would not be. That said, depending on what her bills are, you  may wish to offer to at least pay them in part; that's because it's almost impossible to stop someone from at least filing a lawsuit and forcing you to defend, so if she looks like she might file, you may be better off offering to pay something voluntarily, rather than being sued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption