If I recently recieved a charge of criminal mischief in the 4th degree, do I need a lawyer to handle this?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I recently recieved a charge of criminal mischief in the 4th degree, do I need a lawyer to handle this?

I cannot afford to pay for a lawyer at the moment and my parents refused to help me with this arrest. Is a lawyer needed to lower the charge or would I be OK representing myself?

Asked on November 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I always advise people who have been arrested and charged with a criminal matter that it is always best to have legal representation rather than trying to resolve the charges on your own. The reason is that criminal defense lawyers are expereinced in representing people who have been charged with a crime and understand the appropriate sentencing guidelines for a given charge.

Individuals who are not lawyers have no understanding as to what is an appropriate settlement for a criminal matter. As you are aware, in a criminal matter if a person is convicted, he or she could be fined as well as spend time in jail not to mention having a permanent criminal record.

If you want to represent yourself in this criminal matter, you can but it is probably not a wise idea.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption