How canI pay off a debt for once and for all?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI pay off a debt for once and for all?

I recently received a granishment letter from a law firm from which I have already made several payments on. They wait and keep coming back. I’ve made payments to this law firm already starting in 1991. They would take money automatically through my checking account. Then stop, I wouldn’t hear from them and then years later would contact me again stating I owed monies with interest that totaled more than I originally owed. This happened in 1991, they then contacted me again in 2006; I made payments again, they stopped taking the money. Now I received a letter of garnishment stating that I owe money again more than the original. How to I stop this from happening. This feels like some sort of scam.

Asked on August 19, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It might be scam; these things happen. You should consult with an attorney, bringing with you all relevant paperwork (relating to the debt; evidence of all payments; all correspondence; etc.). The attorney can help you determine:

1) If the debt is legitimate or not, and if not, what action you might take--such as suing to recover any/all overpayments

2) Whether, if the debt is legitimate, you may be able to negotiate or settle it (and help you do try to do so)

3) If the debt is legitimate and you have no other recourse, whether you should possibly consider bankruptcy as a way to discharge this debt and eliminate it for good.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption